Saturday 20 August 2011

Paolo Di Canio's thoughts ahead of the derby game

Swindon Town manager : Paolo Di Canio
Since yesterday morning I woke up thinking about Oxford and I felt straight away the butterflies in my stomach.

I think this rivalry is bigger than Lazio and Roma. In Rome the rivalry is big but they play twice a year. Here, they don't play often, so the rivalry has grown.

It's the most important derby of my career.

This is absolutely a very special game and for us it should be a World Cup final.

"He's [Oxford United Striker, No. 9 James Constable] a big Swindon fan through and through - the Oxford fans know it.

If my players put in even 10 per cent of the fans’ desire for this game, they will be okay, with 100 per cent we will win easy but even if they bring with them 10 per cent of the fans’ desire to give their best then I will be very happy because then we are in a right way.

The 11 who will start on Sunday must be an 11 who can play football but also give their heart. I don’t mean that a good technical player will not play but they have to show that even if they are not proper nasty people, that is what they have to become in a positive and professional way.”



Oxford United Manager : Chris Wilder
We will keep our heads down and let them get on with it. You don’t win anything with articles or quotes in the paper, but every manager has their own approach.  But it’s not about me, it’s about my players and it’s about the supporters getting behind us like they always do. 


My Tottenham-supporting number nine will be all out to get the goals for Oxford on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment